Found this at: http://gratefulgrazer.com/home/creamy-potato-leek-soup/
This soup is creamy, warm, filling – classic comfort food at its best.
What’s not to love?
You won’t even realize it’s there.
When it comes to flavor, this soup is all about the creamy deliciousness that is the spud.
Potatoes may have a bad wrap in some nutrition circles but not over here. They’re filled with healthy complex carbohydrates and are also an excellent source of antioxidants like vitamin C. Combined with healthy fats and protein, potatoes are the perfect starchy addition to a healthy and well-balanced meal.
And in my opinion, leeks make the perfect spud-accompaniment.
Leeks are related to onions and garlic (two of the greatest veggies ever, in my opinion) and are a member of the allium family. These sulfur-containing veggies have been researched for a number of health benefits, including antioxidant effects, detoxification support, and cardiovascular protection.
You can use leeks almost anywhere that you would use an onion. (Or you can be like me and just use both.)
I’m telling you right now, all I want for St. Patrick’s Day is this creamy potato leek soup.
(But a piece of this lentil shepherd’s pie and/or a chunk or warm, crusty bread would certainly be welcome here too.)
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb (about 8) yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 1 block soft tofu
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- Chopped chives for topping (optional)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions, leeks, garlic and salt and cook until translucent and aromatic, 6-7 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook 3-4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients (except chives), bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 15 minutes or until flavors are melded and potatoes are tender.
- Transfer in batches to high speed blender and puree. (Don't fill blender more than halfway.)
- Pour into bowls and top with chives and additional black pepper as desired.
What dish deserves a place on your ideal St. Patrick’s Day table?
Try this Potato Leek Soup for vegan comfort food with a secret protein boost!
Click To Tweet