There is something about fresh baking that instantly warms the heart, clears the head and comforts the soul. The whole process of baking is therapeutic; choosing the flavours, buying the ingredients, stirring love into the bowl, watching the alchemy come together into a batter, the spices wafting through the air infusing your home with a comforting nostalgia, and then pulling the final product out of the oven and taking a big bite while it’s still warm.
This Spiced Zucchini Carrot loaf does all that and more with simple ingredients that when combined turn into something completely decadent. You can make this as a dessert or leave out the streusel topping to keep it more savoury and enjoy it along side a big cup of soup.
If you don’t have coconut meat just use 1 cup of dairy alternative milk such as almond or coconut.
- 2 cups gluten free flour (I used bob’s red mill’s all purpose blend)
- 1/4 cup millet
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp himalayan salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 TBS ground flax or chia
- 3 TBS water
- 2/3 cup zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut meat
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 satsuma orange, peeled
- 1 TBS lemon zest
- 1 TBS flour
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 TBS coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees or 300 on convection setting
2. Rub the loaf tin with a small amount of coconut oil and line with parchment paper. The coconut oil will help the parchment paper stick to the pan so it’s easier to pour the batter in
3. Whisk together the flax/chia seed and 3 TBS of water let stand for 5 min.
4. In a blender place coconut meat, satsuma orange, lemon zest and 3/4 cup water and puree
5. Blend all dry ingredients together and set aside.
6. In a small bowl put all the streusel ingredients and mix together with a fork until crumbly.
7. Whisk together flax mixture and blended coconut meat mixture until frothy
8. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until completely combined
9. Pour batter into loaf pan or muffin tins and bake for approximately 50min or until a toothpick comes out dry from the centre of the loaf/muffins.
The post This Spiced Zucchini Carrot Loaf is Gluten Free and Vegan! appeared first on Young and Raw.